100gm caster sugar
150gm plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
100gm unsalted butter - melted
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F/Gas 6)
- Brush a tray of madeleine moulds with malted butter and coat with flour, then tap the tray to remove the excess flour
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until the mixture is thick and pale and the whisk leaves a trail when lifted.
- Sift flour and baking powder into mixture, gently fold the flour, then the malted butter and vanilla essence
- Spoon into the moulds, leaving a little room for rising.
- Bake for 12 minutes (small madeleine will only need 7 minutes), or until very lightly golden and springy to touch.
- Remove from the tray a cool on a wire rack.